Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!





How was your Mother's Day?  I worked in long-term care for many years as an Activity Director.  I loved it!  Every year we would have a Mother's Day Tea, in honor of Moms everywhere.  I remember some of the residents telling me they couldn't attend because they weren't a Mother.  I told them that was nonsense!  Everyone has a Mother, so we all should celebrate this day!  Where would we be without our Moms?






Now, I have a bit of a confession.  This is not the post I had planned for this evening.  I have been working on some gifts for Mother's Day, and have had a lot of fun taking photos of them.  Actually, I took photos all weekend of different things.  I was just kind of playing around a little bit, and wanted to share some of those pictures.  This evening I sat down to edit my photos, and I cannot find my USB cord to download them to the computer!  UGH!!!!!  I am so incredibly frustrated because I thought I put it in a desk drawer, thinking I would remember it being there.  Well, it's not there!

So....instead I found this picture on my computer of my 3 lovies.  (Actually, I have a plaque in my craft room, and I call them my "Reason Why.")  I want to take just a minute to brag about these 3 that God has given to me to love more than myself.

My girl, AKA Punkie, made me a mommy at such a young age, and I really had no idea how my life would change.  She is her momma made over, and her momma feels bad about that....sometimes!  She is fiercely stubborn, but has a heart of gold.  She is a home-health aide for Hospice, and her patients and their families adore her.  Compassion oozes from her.  She works hard to take care of my Doodlebug, and I could not be prouder of the woman she has become.

My son, AKA Schlemmie (football nickname, but I use it!), never fails to shock me.  He moved into his own place several months ago.  Despite my offers of help, he is determined to make it  on his own.  Last week, he found out he has received a full scholarship for his next semester of college!  Paid for...in full!!!  I still can't believe it!  Anyway, two of the qualifications is he must work full time, and attend school full time.  Not thinking, I offered to help with living expenses if he needed to cut back work hours to maintain his GPA.  His response, "I would be inelligible for my scholarship, and what's the point of living on my own if you're supporting me?"  What????  Who is this 19 year boy...er man????  Again, I could not be prouder of him.




Last, but not least, my Doodlebug.  Wow did God bless me when he chose me as this boy's Nana.  I did not know I could love a little guy like I love him.  He brings joy to my heart just by walking into the room.  He makes me laugh.  He makes me cry.  He asks a hundred questions an hour.  He loves playing games, and will pass a football for hours.  I smile just thinking of him calling me Nana.

Being a grandparent is such a different experience than parenting.  I cannot describe it.   I think as a grandparent, not only are you smitten with that little blessing, you are so proud of your child as they find their way through parenthood.  You watch the ups and downs, the mistakes, and the joy.  And in the end, that child that made you a parent, makes you a grandparent of the most brilliant beautiful, perfect child to walk the earth.  And it makes your heart sing.

Make it an awesome day!
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment